Au revoir, Ogles: Dean's departure marks troublesome trend at OU

Last year, top administrators were flying the crumbling coop of Ohio University; now it seems deans are the next bye-bye birdie.

Ben Ogles, dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, will return to his alma mater this summer. Ogles accepted the position of dean of the College of Family, Home, and Social Sciences at Brigham Young University.

Ogles’ announcement is disheartening news for this university.  As the dean with the highest approval rating from his staff, his departure is a powerful blow to the largest college at OU, one that comprises 19 departments. While the dean with the lowest approval ratings goes before the Ohio House of Representatives, the dean with the highest leaves for Utah.

His resignation also comes at a problematic time for the university as a whole. With a still sizeable budget hole and an upcoming semester switch, the college is in a situation requiring an experienced manager.

The university should learn from this. Rather than let great employees leave, OU needs to increase its appeal or face an increasing number of fleeing experienced faculty and staff.

But instead, OU has to find a replacement for its largest college — a daunting task. Even if an excellent manager were found, that candidate would not have the relationships Ogles has fostered during his five years as head of the College of Arts and Sciences.

With that in mind, the university should look within for Ogles’ replacement. There has to be a suitable candidate working in the College of Arts and Sciences. If not, then OU will have to go through another arduous search process.

At least Ogles expressed a desire to continue working and making progress until the end of the academic year. That is dedication that will be sorely missed.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.