Bloomberg presents free financial assessment test for OU students

Students interested in financial careers will receive the opportunity Friday to have their skills assessed and displayed for potential employers — without paying a cent.

Bloomberg is offering a financial assessment to Ohio University students that will, at the least, evaluate their skills in the area of finance. At the most, it could lead to internship and job opportunities.

The test allows students to pit their skills against candidates from all types of schools, said John Stowe, professor of finance.

“To me, the major benefit is it’s a level playing field where you can demonstrate your mastery of a wide variety of material; it lets somebody from a state school compete against somebody from a rich private school,” Stowe said. “It’s a powerful thing. Employers are very skeptical of GPAs, but this is a way to measure everyone equally.”

OU is not certain if future tests will also be offered free of charge, said Bruno Vieira, a graduate student studying financial economics.

Vieira took the Bloomberg test last fall and scored in the 96th percentile. He now serves as Bloomberg’s student ambassador for OU.

Bloomberg is a company that works to “bring transparency to financial markets” and provide news and connections to people researching major businesses, according to its website.

Vieira recently received a job offer from Bloomberg. He will begin working there as a data analyst after graduating.

The Bloomberg Assessment is in its beta period and is being offered free to students at several universities, including OU. It was also offered during Fall and Winter quarters. The assessment measures readiness for entry-level financial positions and is geared toward college students and young professionals, Vieira said.

The university will hold the test at 1 p.m. Friday in Copeland Hall rooms 014 and 022. There are 88 seats available, and 49 students have registered as of Monday. Students can register at bloomberginstitute.com, and all majors are eligible to take the test.

“Don’t freak out,” Vieira said. “Right now, it’s free, so come on. Just go there and take the three hours.”

rm279109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus