Duck on menu at West 82

West 82 patrons were treated to an interesting surprise as the Baker University Center food court offered a new item on the menu — duck.

The food court offered the poultry in its Jade Bowl yesterday for a similar price as other meat offerings. The duck has health benefits, said Baker workers.

Hinsdale, Ill.-based Maple Leaf Farms supplied the duck. Regional Manager John Palumbo personally stir-fried sample servings for students.

“Duck meat, duck breast is very tender. Plus, its leaner than almost any other protein,” Palumbo said.

Farming practices also ensure the ducks are not raised in squalor, he said.

“The ducks are raised in Indiana, not far from Ft. Wayne by Amish and Mennonite farmers,” Palumbo said. “It’s never caged; instead they grow in a barn, in a protected environment. Plus, duck is all dark meat, so it’s got a richer flavor.”

The new meat came when Ohio University officials saw it served at a trade show and thought it would be a good addition to OU’s menu, said Mary Jane Jones, associate director of catering.

“We really liked the thought of another good option at Jade,” Jones said. “Duck is a little more expensive, but it’s healthier.”

A 100-gram serving of skinless duck breast has 140 calories, as compared to 165 in chicken breast, 164 in tenderloin pork and 185 in beef round tip. At 135 calories, only skinless turkey breast is healthier.

Duck is served in a variety of international cuisine, including Asian, French and German dishes, so adding it to the menu could help diversify OU’s palette, Palumbo said.

“It’s a new taste for a lot of people,” Palumbo said. “What better place to experience a new cuisine than college?”

Jones said reception for the duck has been overwhelmingly positive.

“I haven’t heard one student yet say they didn’t like it.” Jones said.

tn336706@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus