Extra days avert 'calamity' in classroom

Athens area students will see summer a few days sooner after Ohio Gov. John Kasich signed two extra calamity days into the school year.

The bill, passed this month by Ohio legislature, increases the number of calamity days from three to five. It also allows schools to extend days by 30 minutes to make up for extra calamity days during the 2010-11 school year, according to a news release from the governor’s office.

Athens City Schools have missed 10 days this year, said Carl Martin, the school district’s superintendent. Because of the legislation, five of these days are forgiven and an additional three have already been made up, he added.

The remaining two days will extend the school year into the summer, he said, adding that, at this time, summer break will start June 1.

This year’s number of calamity days was higher than normal for the district because of the tornado, he said.

Because of flooding, Chauncey Elementary will be in school for an extra two days, which will be made up for in May by extending the day by 30 minutes until the time is made up, he said.

Martin added that he is happy that the legislation passed because calamity days keep the students safe."

“Student safety is a priority,” Kasich said in a release. “But the great bottom line is more sled riding.”

rc348710@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity