Former student takes plea agreement to serve 2 years

A former Ohio University student was sentenced to two years in prison after taking a plea agreement last week.

Joshua Leslein, 21, pleaded guilty to one count of attempted felonious assault as part of an agreement with the Athens County Prosecutor’s Office. He was sentenced to two years in prison Thursday.

Leslein was originally charged with two counts of sexual battery after he allegedly molested a female friend, also an OU student, in 2009. The victim fell asleep beside Leslein on his bed after a party in his Gamertsfelder Hall room, according to court documents.

The victim believed nothing would happen because Leslein is “openly gay,” according to court documents. When the victim awoke, Leslein had his hand down her pants and his finger in her vagina, according to court documents.

Because Leslein pleaded guilty to attempted felonious assault, the sexual battery charges were dismissed, according to the agreement.

In addition to his two-year prison sentence, Leslein must pay $300 of restitution to the victim, have no contact with OU, the victim or her family and write a letter of apology to the victim.

While in prison, Leslein must undergo sex offender programming and submit a DNA sample. After his release, he will be on probation for three years.

With Leslein’s original two charges of sexual battery, he could have been sentenced to a maximum of 20 years in prison and a maximum fine of $20,000 if convicted at a trial, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

Leslein must report to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail May 1 to await transportation to a State Penal System, according to court documents.

ml147009@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity