Health care waiver under consideration

International students studying at Ohio University could have the option to keep their current health care plans if the university follows recommendations from both Student Senate and Graduate Student Senate.

OU currently requires international students to purchase health insurance from UnitedHealthcare, its provider, even if the students already have their own plans.

“It is really unfair … that they would have to pay double the price,” SAC at-large Senator Evan Ecos said.

Student Senate unanimously passed a resolution last night encouraging OU to give international students the option to waive its insurance plan. Graduate Student Senate passed a similar resolution in February.

OU has not allowed international students to use their own plans in the past because it did not have a way to verify that the plans provided adequate coverage, said Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi. One problem the university has encountered is that international students’ plans often do not cover the cost of shipping a deceased student’s body home if he or she dies in the United States, he said.

“We had to have a way to check to make sure the insurance plans they had met the standards,” Lombardi said.

Wells Fargo, OU’s insurance broker, will be checking students’ plans next year if the waiver option is implemented, Lombardi said.

“We are at a 99.9 percent likelihood that we would be able to implement this for next year,” he said, adding that if enacted, it would affect 20 to 30 students.

At-Large Senator Liz Herron said she supported the resolution because it would be fairer to international students.

“I have the option of sticking with the insurance that I chose,” Herron said. “Under the current policy, (international students) don’t really seem to have that option,” she added.

Senators also heard a presentation from Lombardi about OU’s health insurance contract for next year. OU recently renewed its contract with UnitedHealthcare for another year. Premiums will rise $43 next year for students, an increase of 3.5 percent, Lombardi said.

The new plan will also cover gynecological exams, flu vaccines and STI testing for males as well as what it covered this year, he said. 

jf250409@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus

STUDENT SENATE BRIEFS

— Senate is looking for VOLUNTEERS OF LEGAL DRINKING AGE for a demonstration on how alcohol affects the body. All volunteers will consume alcohol in a controlled setting and then will be asked to perform tests, according to University Life Commissioner John Calhoun. The demonstration will take place Friday, April 22, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. in Ping Student Recreation Center.

— APPLICATIONS FOR SENATE ELECTIONS are due by 5 tonight in the Dean of Students’ office, and campaigning begins Monday. The Board of Elections denied a request by one potential candidate to move the deadline back a week, said Senate President Jesse Neader.

— The SURVIVOR ADVOCACY PROGRAM, part of the Women’s Center, will have 20 peer advocates available for student victims to talk to about their experiences with sexual and domestic violence. Starting in fall 2011, the program will offer support for student victims 24/7.

— SAFETY DAY, sponsored by Student Senate, will take place in Baker University Center May 4 — three days before Palmerfest. It will include “Pizza with the Police,” which is a free pizza lunch and conversation with OU Police Chief Andrew Powers.