Randy Leite, new dean of the College of Health Sciences and Professions

Health college interim dean receives position for 4 years

An Ohio University search committee recently gave the interim dean of the College of Health Sciences and Professions a more permanent position.

Randy Leite will begin his four-year term as dean of the College of Health Sciences and Professions July 1.

“Dean Leite has done an excellent job as interim dean, and we believe that he would continue doing an excellent job as our permanent dean,”

said OU President Roderick McDavis.

McDavis listed Leite’s fundraising efforts, people skills and positive attitude as qualities that helped make him a good candidate.

“He has clarified a vision for the College of Health Sciences and Professions,” McDavis said. “He has become very involved in the capital campaign, and he has also generated revenue for academic programs.”

Leite previously worked at Ohio Wesleyan University, Otterbein College, Ohio State University and Bowling Green State University. He held positions such as director of student affairs, adjunct lecturer, assistant dean and associate professor, according to his resume. Leite began working as interim dean at OU in July 2009.

His current salary is $120,000. He will make $160,000 as dean — $25,400 less than former dean Gary Neiman, said Ann Fidler, chief of staff to Executive Vice President and Provost Pam Benoit.

Leite helped organize the restructuring of the College of Health and Human Services and the creation of the College of Health Sciences and Professions. The college has a more narrow focus now and places greater emphasis on research, Leite said.

“I think if you look at our faculty research, the range of research activities has increased,” he said. “Faculty are engaging students in research more.”

The college will begin organizing fundraising opportunities and competitions to encourage more students to conduct research, Leite said.

Mary Bowen, director of OU’s School of Nursing, said she approved of the decision to keep Leite as dean for four more years.

“(Leite) is very progressive in his thinking about the future for health professions and professional health education,” Bowen said. “I thought (his appointment) was great. I told him personally that I enjoy working with him, and I think it’s a good decision on the part of the provost and the search committee.”

@ThePostCampus

rm279109@ohiou.edu