Men's Golf: Final day struggles drop Ohio

After a consistent start to the UK Bluegrass Invitational, the Bobcats’ struggles on the last day brought down the team’s overall standings.

The Bobcats started out solid in the first two rounds, shooting a team total of 298 in the first round and 297 in the second round. But on the final day of the tournament, all five members of the team struggled, shooting a collective 314.

They finished 12th out of 18 teams.

“We played OK the first two rounds, but played very poorly on the final day,” coach Bob Cooley said about his team’s performance.

Junior Paul Grauer led the Bobcats, as he shot a team-best 11-over-par 224 on the weekend and finished 27th overall individually. Sophomore Byron Firestone, who shot a 16-over-par 229, was next on the team and finished tied for 49th. He was followed by junior John Mlynarski with a 17-over-par 230 (tied for 53rd), freshman Connor Coldwater with an 18-over-par 231 (tied for 55th), and Brad Lucas with a 21-over-par 234 (tied for 66th).

“We will need to work on our short game, our putts and wedges need a lot of improvement,” Cooley said.

There were some bright spots during the weekend, and there is room for improvement for this young squad, Cooley said. He added that he’s looking for a good week of practice and for his young team to make improvements for next weekend’s Ball State Invitational in Muncie, Ind.

ep310809@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports