Men's Golf: Invitational gives 'Cats opportunity to compensate for previous season

After a month-long break, the Bobcats are ready to get back on the course.

Ohio will start its spring season at the UK Bluegrass Invitational this weekend in Lexington, Ky., to play on the Big Blue Golf Course on the campus of the University of Kentucky.

Tough competition from all around the Midwest will compete at the meet. The Mid-American Conference, Big Ten and Southeastern Conference are among the conferences that will be represented, as Auburn, Kentucky and Georgia Southern highlight the Bobcats’ opponents.

The starting five that will compete for the Bobcats this weekend are juniors Paul Grauer and John Mlynarski, sophomores Bradley Lucas and Byron Firestone and freshman Connor Coldwater.

“Paul Grauer has been playing the best out of our five; Connor Coldwater earned his way in a playoff,” coach Bob Cooley said. “I expect us to be playing better than we did in the fall.

“We got a real good field; with Kentucky on their home course, they’ll perform well,” Cooley said about his opponents. “The weather has allowed us to have a good four weeks of practice.”

Overall, the Bobcats look to start better this spring after recovering from a difficult fall season. They have been having a lot of good practices and competition within the team, which can only help improvements, Cooley said.

Led by Grauer, Cooley said the relatively young squad should get better as the weather improves throughout the spring season. Favorable weather would permit more practice time.

The first round of the tournament will begin at 8:30 a.m. Saturday, followed by the second round, also on Saturday. The final round starts at 8 a.m. Sunday.

ep310809@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports