Men's Golf: Players to focus on short game for weekend invitational

The Bobcats are looking to bounce back this weekend from a rough ending to last week’s Bluegrass Invitational.

Coach Bob Cooley and his golfers will be traveling to Ball State’s Delaware Country Club, a par-70 course in Muncie, Ind., for the Earl Yestingsmeier Invitational.

They’ll be facing a slightly easier field this weekend consisting of 15 teams from Ohio, Illinois, Indiana, Tennessee and West Virginia.

The tournament is set to start on Saturday with the first two rounds and the final round on Sunday. There will be six players participating with the lowest five scores being counted.

“We will be taking the same five as last week and sophomore Michael Lamping,” Cooley said. “We had our qualifying round today. We were able to get some quality practice time.”

After last week’s meet, Coach Cooley said that they would be focusing on their short game but this week hasn’t given the best weather.

“We haven’t been able to practice what we would’ve liked,” Cooley said. “We worked on putts, some inside, but it’s very different from the outside.”

The Bobcats will look for junior Paul Grauer to lead the way once again, as he shot the best score last weekend. Lamping, sophomore Byron Firestone, freshman Connor Coldwater, sophomore Brad Lucas and junior John Mlynarski will all look to put in good rounds throughout the weekend for the Bobcats.

“Grauer was playing very well and just had some bad breaks last week,” Cooley said. “I’m expecting us to keep getting better, we made progress last week and we just got to keep on progressing this weekend.”

Cooley and his team will hope to make the right adjustments this weekend. Improving their short games will be a point of emphasis for the coach and they’ll try to implement this weekend.

ep310809@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports