Post Editorial: Night Light

University, city need to work to help Take Back the Night

The day before Take Back the Night week began, two women reported being sexually assaulted.

One of the crimes allegedly took place at a fraternity party, the other allegedly in the dark parking lot behind Christ the King Church on Stewart Street.

We commend the victims for coming forward because reliving such a horrific incident requires incredible strength. It is important that women come forward in order to raise awareness of a crime that often goes unreported. It is the first step toward changing from victim to survivor.

The weekend’s tragic occurrences have made tonight’s showing of NO! The Rape Documentary and tomorrow night’s march across campus even more salient. But, this week’s events have been organized by students. It is time Ohio University and Athens take action to make this campus and city safer for women.

We have written on this before: This campus and this city are too dark. One of the international Take Back the Night organization’s events is called “10 Points of Light.” The purpose of the evening vigil is to brighten the darkness with lit candles at 10 locations throughout the U.S. Unfortunately, those candles are ephemeral; campus and city lights are not.

In fact, lax lighting is what led to the name Take Back the Night. A brighter campus and city would create a safer environment for women to walk alone after the sun has set — something they should not fear.

Sadly, the darkness blanketing much of OU and Athens necessitates women have someone with whom to walk late at night. When a knife-wielding rapist is roaming about both the campus and the city, something needs to be done quickly.

Better lighting is not the cure-all. In cases of non-aggravated sexual assault, lack of respect is the problem. Men need to learn respect for women and understand the definition of proper consent — especially on a college campus where drinking is commonplace.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.