Post Editorial: OU Judiciaries violates right to due process in hearings

If you are ever referred to University Judiciaries, don’t waste your time looking for a lawyer.

You can bring a lawyer almost anywhere. But here at Ohio University, there is a restriction against bringing one when you have a judicial hearing. Why such a limitation exists is a mystery.

The only time you can have an attorney is when criminal charges are pending. But only 93 cases last academic year involved a violation of criminal law. For the other 1,729 cases, those students had to rely on an OU employee or student.

The problem is students and employees have other obligations, which occupy the time necessary to construct a proper defense. Having a lawyer would give accused students someone to build their cases while they go about their daily schedule.

With the burden of proof resting at a preponderance of the evidence, students would have to work even harder to create a strong case to have the charges dismissed.

A lawyer also would be able to understand the rhetoric of Judiciaries. This would keep students from getting tricked by the system, providing them with a fairer chance to have their charges dismissed. That chance is already low because being referred is almost like being found guilty.

Should a student be charged by the City of Athens, he or she would be allowed an attorney. But should that student step into the legal bubble of OU, he or she would be denied one. As long as you have paid your student legal services fee, you might prefer going to trial in Athens.

By not allowing a lawyer, OU has created a flawed justice system for its students. As adults, students have the right to an attorney. Denying such a right is an egregious injustice to students. It makes a system already stacked against the students even more so.

We understand that hiring an attorney can be expensive and not all students have that capability. But having the option is necessary, even when no criminal charges are pending.

Without the option of a lawyer, students essentially undergo a kangaroo trial. It might not reach the levels of Alice’s trial during her adventures in Wonderland, but it would still violate students’ rights to due process.

Editorials represent the majority opinion of The Post’s executive editors.