Road life fits for folk singer

Pokey LaFarge’s website says “Goods for Sale” instead of a more traditional phrasing — which should be expected from an old-fashioned man from St. Louis.

LaFarge will take the stage with his band, the South City Three, at 10 tonight at Casa Cantina, 4 W. State St. to play his brand of Americana.

After hearing roots music when he was 13 years old, LaFarge begin to delve into America’s musical history, drawing inspiration from legends such as Bob Willis and Jimmie Rodgers.

“(Early American music) is simple and it’s honest. You can tell what it’s all about,” LaFarge said. “… There’s no pretensions there, it is what it is.”

LaFarge, who Spin magazine called the “Best Discovery” of the 2010 Newport Folk Festival, has drawn on the turn of the century for inspiration in other aspects of life besides his music. One area where this is particularly evident is his style, as LaFarge favors the bow ties and vests of an earlier era over more modern tennis shoes and T-shirts.

Much of his outlook on life is grounded in the past, as well.

“There just seemed to be a lot more pride back then — pride in one’s self,” LaFarge said. “Now you can’t get a job. If you want a job, you’ve got to work on a computer or you’ve got to go become a musician.”

Even though the band’s next album — which will be released in July — is called Middle of Everywhere partly as homage to LaFarge’s adopted hometown of St. Louis, the troubadour has earned much of his musical education by traveling across America.

The album’s first song, “So Long Honeybee, Goodbye,” begins with LaFarge singing, “I travel around this country Thursday, Friday, Saturday, Sunday/ Seems like I been everywhere.”

LaFarge said his experiences on the road have affected his music.

“Obviously, you meet other musicians out there on the road. You get a chance to see what other people are doing around the world,” LaFarge said. “… You meet people from all over the world, you expand your mind so that changes who you are and that will change your music, as well.”

One way that LaFarge’s music has changed during the past two years is the integration of the South City Three, a band of fellow St. Louis residents that features Ryan Koenig (washboard, harmonica, vocals), Adam Hoskins (guitar, vocals) and Joey Glynn (upright bass, vocals).

Middle of Everywhere will be LaFarge’s second album with the South City Three, but his fourth overall. He said that he developed a new level of comfort with working with a band during the recording of the record.

“(The band) took some time to get used to, but that was three years ago,” LaFarge said. “I’m more uncomfortable playing solo now. If I had to do a whole show of solo, it would probably be a little rusty.”

LaFarge released a 7” vinyl record called “Chitlin Cookin’ Time in Cheatham County/Pack it Up” on Jack White’s Third Man Records earlier this year.

aw333509@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCulture