Summer registration, other online services down

Ohio University shut down several of its online services today, leaving students unable to register for summer classes.

Students who woke up at 7 a.m. this morning to register for summer classes quickly realized the website was down.

“The technical team and registrar staff is working diligently to resolve the issue,” stated an email from David Resler, a senior network engineer in the Office of Information Technology, to OU students and employees.

At 10:02 — about two hours later after the initial email — Resler sent another update, saying that OIT took the new student information system offline while the office attempts to fix the problem.

“It’s too soon to comment (on the cause of the outage),” said Sean O'Malley, Information Technology Communications Manager.

The registrar office chose to make registration unavailable at 7 a.m. this morning, O'Malley said. At about 9 a.m., the decision was made to disable the student information system and other services, he added.

Services affected include Astra Schedule, learning communities web tool, student financial aid statuses for next year and admissions application statuses, among several other programs, according to the email.

The earliest registration will be open is 7 a.m. tomorrow. If it is not ready by then, it will be pushed back another day, O’Malley said.

OU will send another email once registration is working again.

“People shouldn’t freak out about if they are going to be closed out of a class. No one has been able to register for classes yet,” he said.

Freshman Carrie Ireland said she realized the problem when attempting log into the system.

“I was worried because one class is an online 101 course, and it wouldn’t have room,” Ireland said. “I felt like I was the only person it wasn’t working for at first."

af234909@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus