Symposium to discuss varying journalistic business models

The changing shape of journalism is leading to new and unexpected economic models, many of which will be discussed at the third annual Schuneman Symposium beginning tomorrow.

The Symposium, which will take place in the Baker University Center Theatre, will feature speakers such as media reformist Bob McChesney and National Geographic photographer William Albert Allard. The theme will be the alternate business models being enacted throughout the modern journalism landscape.

“We brought in speakers who are pioneers in other business models, or they are talking about other business models, or they work for organizations with other business models, or in the case of the alumni panel, they are working in places they didn’t expect to be working,” said Robert Stewart, director of the E.W. Scripps School of Journalism.

McChesney, who will be the event’s closing speaker, is the president and co-founder of Free Press, has written or edited 18 books, hosts the “Media Matters” radio program and is the Gutsgell Endowed Professor in the Department of Communication at the University of Illinois.

As part of his work fighting for media reform, McChesney is particularly concerned about network neutrality and the demise of paid journalism.

McChesney said network neutrality is essentially a plan by large companies that would result in the Internet turning into cable TV through privatization instead of the open model that exists now.

“It’s a huge political fight … to keep the Internet open,” he said.

McChesney is also concerned that the loss of paid journalism jobs could lead to problems for democracy in America.

“If you don’t have a lot of competing, independent newsrooms covering stories, the system just doesn’t work,” he said.

The Schuneman Symposium is funded by an annual $33,000 donation from R. Smith “Smitty” Schuneman. This is the third year of 15 for which Schuneman committed to giving the donation.

aw333507@ohio.edu

@ThePostCulture