The Crystal reopens after being issued an order from the Liquor Control Commission

Although The Crystal was shut down last week because it was operating for three years under a suspended liquor license, the bar reopened today.

The Ohio Liquor Control Commission suspended The Crystal’s liquor license indefinitely Sept. 22, 2008 because it owed $38,534.71in corporate franchise taxes — but it didn’t stop them from illegally selling alcohol for three years.

The bar, 34 N. Court St., now owes $19,516.89 based on interest and fees yet collected and was shut down April 8 for operating without paying off their debt.

But the commission recently issued a Nunc Pro Tunc order to the bar, which was delivered by liquor enforcement agents, said Julie Hinds, spokeswoman for the Ohio Investigative Unit.

A Nunc Pro Tunc order is an action by a trial court correcting a clerical error in a prior judgment. 

“All (our agents) did was issue the order. It doesn’t have anything to do with their status,” Hinds said.

She said she could not speak to the details of the order and whether it was related to the bars reopening.

The Crystal employees confirmed that the bar was open today, but the owner of the bar was not available to comment.

Commission officials could not be reached for comment.

as218907@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity