Theater group to tackle taboo topics in 'Monsters'

The student-run theater group F-Word will showcase a shocking performance Sunday at 2 p.m. in Seigfred Hall’s Mitchell Auditorium.

The show will present discussions about life issues society has deemed taboo.

Monsters is a free event, and after the show there will be an open-mic session for anyone wanting to participate. 

A major theme in popular culture is the idea of monsters, such as vampires and werewolves, said Arielle Rogers, founder and producing artistic director.  Even Lady Gaga has incorporated the idea of monsters into the musical world.  

“We decided to display our own personal monsters or monsters we have encountered through life in our upcoming show,” Rogers said.

F-Word’s shows allow cast members to speak honestly about delicate experiences encountered in life via monologues, songs, dances and conceptual scenes.

Some of the performances in Monsters will symbolize topics such as sexual abuse, relationships, discrimination by men and society as a disturbing monster.

There will definitely be surprises throughout the show, Jessica Link, one of the creators of F-Word, said. 

“You need to come with an objective eye and be willing to criticize and accept what you see,” Link said.

The goal of F-Word is to provide an atmosphere where people can comfortably discuss experiences as openly as possible. 

“This group gives people a safe place to talk,” Rogers said.  “People look at it as a therapeutic session.”

F-Word began as a group of women discussing problems and concerns and quickly morphed into a performance troupe.

“For Monsters, all I can say is expect the unexpected,” Rogers said. “You may even be scared of what you’ll witness.”

tg143208@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCulture