Ohio pole vaulter Jamie Fisher sprints down the track during the Ohio Women's Team Challenge on April 9, 2011. The Bobcats placed third with a score of 135. Ohio competes next at the All-Ohio Outdoor Championships in Cincinnati, Ohio on Aril 15, 2011.

Track & Field: Easter meet throws Bobcats off their game

April showers did not bring success for the Bobcats.

The Bobcats competed in the rain-soaked Jesse Owens Classic last weekend in Columbus. No team scores were kept, but on the first day of competition, the Bobcats continued the trend of finishing in the top 10, and Annie Beecham had the best finish of the day.

She won the 5000-meter run with a time of 16 minutes, 42 seconds, and beat her previous best time by seven seconds. Senior Kari Summers competed in the same event and finished in fifth. Summers shaved 34 seconds off her best spring time.

“She is capable of more than what her times were showing early on in the year,” coach Clay Calkins said.

Freshman Juli Accurso placed seventh in the 1,500-meter run with a personal best of 4:33.

Calkins said he was happy from what he saw from the distance runners.

The field events produced five top-10 finishes for Ohio. Brianna Allen finished in fifth place in discus and set a new personal record with a throw of 39.15 meters.

Teammates Andrea Madison and Alexa Macri finished in the top 10.

Sophomore Lauren McCullough and Hope McCarty finished top 10 in javelin.

The second day produced no top-10 finishes for Ohio, but Calkins said the team is not accustomed to competing on Sunday, especially with it being Easter.

That was out of the ordinary for us,” Calkins said. “ Our best day was (Saturday).”

nr225008@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports