Track: Ohio struggles at Toledo meet

Despite not placing high in the standings, the Bobcats saw production.

Ohio finished in sixth place with 68.5 points, putting the Bobcats well behind the other Mid-American Conference teams in the Toledo Collegiate Challenge.

On the positive side, the number of top 10 finishes by Bobcat athletes increased by 21 during the only day of competition.

Sophomore thrower Lauren McCullough finished in second in the javelin with a throw length of 37.24 meters and also secured a ninth place finish in the hammer throw.  Fellow thrower  Emily Woods placed high in multiple events with fourth in discus and fifth in the shot put.

The triple jump produced the most Bobcats in the top 10.  Alexis Geiger,  Shareyna Spears and  Katie Eastman finished seventh, eighth and ninth in that order.  Geiger added a fifth place finish in the long jump.

Other Bobcats saw their names in the top 10 in multiple events.  Hope McCarty finished in fourth in the javelin and ninth in the 800 meters.

Kiley Mathews finished sixth in the 400 meters and helped her 4x400 meter relay and 4x100 meter relay teams to finish third and sixth respectively.     

The distance runners sat out of the event because it primarily focused on throws, sprints and jumps. The long distance runners’ performances have been strengths for the Bobcats in past meets.  

The middle distance runners, however, performed well despite the absence of  Annie Beecham and  Kari Summers. Ashley Waddington and  Lauren Fett finished second and third in the 2000-meter steeplechase and  Allison Stillwell set a personal record with 17 minutes and 49 seconds, placing her in the third spot in the 5000-meter run.

Coach  Clay Calkins could not be reached for comment.

Ohio will host its first meet at home next weekend.  Teams will compete in the Ohio Women’s Team Challenge at Goldsberry Track.

nr225008@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports