Volunteers chauffeur patients to appointments

?Athens residents without transportation will be able to attend their doctor’s appointments because of a new program through the American Cancer Society Ohio Division — and the organization is searching for volunteer drivers.

The organization’s Road to Recovery program in Athens was created as a volunteer driving service to transport cancer patients to their doctor’s appointments.

Volunteers can sign up to become drivers or driving coordinators. Driving coordinators assign drivers to patients on designated driving days, according to the organization’s website.

Drivers must have a reliable car, DMV check and proof of insurance, according to the website.

There is a huge need for this type of program throughout Ohio, said Amy Magorien, head of the program, adding that Athens County is a good place to set up this kind of program.

“At the moment, we have one coordinator and about six drivers,” Magorien said. “But the more drivers, the better.”

Driver and coordinator involvement is based on an individual’s schedule, she said. Drivers could take patients as far as Columbus or Marietta or just around Athens, she added.

Danny Kasler, one of the program’s driving coordinators, said he decided to get involved with the program because both his wife and daughter have had cancer.

“Both my wife and daughter are in remission now,” Kasler said. “My wife had breast cancer and my daughter had leukemia.”

Kasler added that volunteering in the program is a great way to be involved and to give back to the community.

“Knowing now how important these appointments are to cancer patients really makes helping them out very rewarding,” Kasler said.

There will be two training sessions for those interested in joining the program. They will be held 7-9 p.m. today in Bentley Hall at Ohio University and from 10 a.m.-12 p.m. April 9 at O’Bleness Memorial Hospital.

kg287609@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity