Women's Golf: Ohio defends Spring Challenge Cup Title

In the same tournament, during the same weekend, against the same opponent as a year ago, the result for Ohio was the same: a win.

The Bobcats dominated the Bowling Green Falcons with a 10-2 match-play win over the weekend in which four of Ohio’s six golfers did not lose a point during the event.

“We are really excited about it,” coach Kelly Ovington said. “B.G. always brings their ‘A’ game so we were really looking forward to playing them this weekend.”

Ohio pounced on the Falcons early. In the Saturday round, Ohio took all but one point and jolted out to a 5-1 lead. Only needing 6.5 points to win the event, Ohio stayed focused and repeated the effort Sunday.

“It’s just basically taking care of business going out there and just making sure you do your best to win your match," Ovington said.

The Spring Challenge Cup was in a match-play format as opposed to the traditional invitational format that fills most of Ohio’s schedule.

“It’s pretty different. I mean you don’t have to worry about your team in the singles matches as compared to the alternate shot and the best ball matches,” Ovington said. “You’re going out there head-to-head.”

Sarah Tranelli turned in a comeback performance, as she was down two holes after nine on Sunday and was able to regain the lead and win the back-and-fourth match.

“She’s the type of player who loves that spotlight,” Ovington said. “She wants to be the person who makes that last shot, so that was exciting to see.”

Ohio won the Spring Challenge Cup last year when it defeated Bowling Green in a match-play round that saw the Bobcats earn a convincing 9-3 victory over the Falcons.       

pm312207@ohio.edu

@ThePostSports