Administrator "disappointed" in behavior at Student Senate debate

Two top Ohio University administrators expressed their disappointment in some of the comments and questions at tonight’s Student Senate debate.

“I would like to see the candidates focus on advocating for student issues,” said Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi, adding he was “disappointed to see some of the questions and tone.”

“I don’t like to see that.”

The mostly congenial debate between the RSVP and FACE executives turned contentious at times. 

At one point during the debate, Academic Affairs Commissioner Zach George, who has publicly endorsed RSVP, asked why, if FACE presidential candidate Matthew Wallace promotes civility, was he seen tearing down signs for RSVP in Morton Hall one evening.

Wallace retorted that he was caught up in the campaign and asked why people had erased some of his party's sidewalk chalk.

Vice President for Student Affairs Kent Smith conveyed similar feeling of disappointment regarding portions of the debate.

“I thought that there was some moments where comments were made that shouldn’t be made,” he said.

Smith said he hopes such comments do not prevent the candidates from working together in the future.

“It has to be about doing what’s best for the students,” Smith said.

When asked during the debate how they will "get over acting so petty about senate," both RSVP presidential candidate Kyle Triplett and Wallace said they were willing to work with members of the opposing party and blamed the stress of the election season.

Current Student Senate President Jesse Neader said some of the questions were "out of line."

"People need to grow up a little bit," Neader said.

"I would have never had anyone on my ticket attack Emily Hanford," he said.

cb119506@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus