Lori Lewis speaks during an open forum April 7 at the Multicultural Center in Baker University Center. An open forum was held to question her plans as a candidate to fill Howard Lipman’s position as Vice President of Advancement at Ohio University. (Jenna Smith | FILE PHOTO)

Administrators aware of VP hopeful's track record

One finalist for Ohio University’s top fundraising position wants to return to the university despite complaints during her previous tenure that said she was “unprofessional” and “insubordinate.”

Lori Lewis, currently the vice president for Advancement at Marietta College, is one of two finalists for a similar position at OU. If hired, it would be her second time working for the university.

Lewis was first hired in 1994 as an adjunct faculty member. By January 1999, she was assistant dean of development in the Russ College of Engineering and Technology.

“My experience at Ohio University was nothing but positive,” Lewis said in a recent interview.

“MEAN-SPIRITED, ABUSIVE, PATRONIZING”

Reviews of Lewis from June 1999 were positive, but a few months later, her conduct prompted a meeting with then-dean of the Russ College Warren K. Wray.

Wray met with Lewis on August 20 after noting several occasions when she acted “testy” and “insubordinate,” according to an August 23 memo from Wray.

“I described to her how offended I was by the tone and manner in which she had spoken to me on several occasions,” Wray wrote. Lewis “lectured” him and “challenged” him regarding her work responsibilities, he added.

Wray wrote that Lewis’ work ethic was “ … I will only do what my job requires me to do; don’t even consider asking me to do any more.”

Lewis was also described as “short and abrasive” and “snippy” when dealing with other coworkers.

“ … I invited her to speak freely and she thought that was what she was doing … but speaking freely didn’t mean to speak in a mean-spirited, abusive, patronizing, or in an insubordinate manner,” Wray wrote.

The meeting had been concluded with Lewis saying she would try to improve her methods of communication to coworkers.

About five months after her meeting with Wray, Lewis was characterized as “always professional in demeanor and interactions,” in a January 14, 2000, evaluation by Molly Tampke, then-director of major gifts at OU.

In January 2001, Tampke again praised Lewis but cautioned “Lori’s only challenge in (teamwork) is recognizing others may not see issues or situations from her viewpoint and they may not share her priorities."

PARTIAL "RESIGNATION"

After about two years of mostly positive reviews, Interim Dean of the Russ College Jerrel R. Mitchell said in a May 2002 email that Lewis was fulfilling a perception that she is a “simple-minded and very narrow thinking employee” after she “resigned” from eight assignments.

“I have never dealt with or heard of a faculty or staff employee resigning from a portion of their job responsibilities and telling their supervisor they will only perform a portion of their assignments,” Mitchell said.

“I realize you ‘volunteered’ for some of the responsibilities you mentioned … However, let me make it clear at this point, I, in conjunction with the Office of University Advancement, will decide what responsibilities you will have — not you,” Mitchell wrote.

He again challenged Lewis’ professionalism.

“I am also directing you to come up with some suggestions as to how you can address your tendency … to express disappointment and frustration in such an angry and unprofessional manner,” Mitchell wrote.

He expressed some confidence in her abilities as an employee of the Russ College but made no promises.

“I hope you are willing and able to address the issues you have created to allow you to remain so — we will see,” Mitchell concluded the letter.

In her year-end evaluation, Lewis was given a 42/50 — a 2/5 in professionalism and 4/5 in teamwork — and the review implored her to “repair and renew” her relationship with Mitchell.

In a June 10, 2002, meeting with administrators, Mitchell and Lewis outlined a plan to renew their relationship, which “went very well,” according to the evaluation.

Days later, the university reappointed Lewis for the 2002-03 year and increased her salary from $74,022 to $75,502.

On October 15, 2002, she announced her resignation from OU for a similar job at Virginia Tech.

A NEW POSITION

Now, Lewis is a finalist for OU’s vice president for University Advancement position, which was formerly held by Howard Lipman, whose tenure was marred by complaints that his explosive temper created a hostile work environment.

Lipman is currently senior vice president for University Advancement and executive director of the FIU Foundation.

Lewis said in an interview Monday she does not remember the May 2002 incident and wasn’t aware of Lipman’s controversial legacy.

“You’re going to have positive and negative feedback,” Lewis said. “While I can’t directly comment on this, I think I’ve had constructive criticism throughout my career. I look forward to it. It helps me grow.”

Becky Watts, chief of staff to OU President Roderick McDavis, said the president’s office was aware of the previous concerns.

“Any time there is information that is available, you make sure you do a thorough job of gathering relevant data,” Watts said.

However, Watts could not comment on whether or not the incidents were being considered in Lewis’ candidacy. Vice President for Student Affairs Kent Smith, who chairs the committee, also said he could not comment, but was aware of the May 2002 letter.

“Any time you gather that information, it has to be contextual. You have to look at whatever is most relevant in context,” Watts said.

tn336706@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus