Josep Rota

Administrators opt for retirement

Ohio University’s director of Financial Aid and its director of international development will retire July 1.

Director of Financial Aid Sondra Williams and Josep Rota, director of international development and alumni relations in the Office of University Advancement, both said they had already planned to retire within the next year.

“It was kind of my plan to go this year … this is just a bonus — them offering the buyout,” said Williams, who currently earns $99,310 annually.

Williams is an OU alumna and has worked as a public employee for more than 30 years — 26 of which she spent at OU.

“It has been a real honor for me to spend my career at Ohio University,” Williams said.

Once she retires, Williams said she plans to relax during the summer “and who knows after that.”

Rota has worked at the university for a similar amount of time and said he is ready to pursue new opportunities. He is the fifth University Advancement employee to commit to an early retirement or voluntary separation in the past week.

“I have been here 28 years and I have enjoyed every moment of it,” Rota said, later adding he plans to write several books and work as a consultant once he retires.

Rota earned $134,524 this year for both his position in the Divisions of University Advancement and for teaching in the School of Media Arts and Studies.

“This is a unique community,” Rota said. “I, personally, am very happy with the quality of students I work with in this university.”

During his time at OU, Rota started a communication and development studies major and helped secure funding for the creation of the Yamada International House, which contains offices for International Development Studies, Ohio Valley International Council, the Fulbright Program and the Peace Corps.

Rota said he does not believe his departure will affect international advancement efforts.

Becky Watts, chief of staff to OU President Roderick McDavis, said the president’s office was aware of Rota’s retirement but not of Williams’.

Daniel Weiner, executive director of the Center for International Studies, will take over Rota’s duties when he retires, Watts said.

Neither Watts nor Ann Fidler, chief of staff to the provost, knows who will replace Williams. Craig Cornell, vice provost for enrollment management, could not be reached for comment.

“(Williams) has been terrific so we will miss her, but there are many talented people in the financial aid office. … I think we will be in good shape even with her retiring,” Fidler said.

cb119506@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus