Board of Elections gives parties one day to remove disqualified candidates from materials

FACE and RSVP’s 12 disqualifications could cost the tickets more than seats in next year’s Student Senate.

The Board of Elections has given both Student Senate tickets one day to remove their disqualified candidates from all campaign materials, including shirts and posters, according to an email sent from Board of Elections chairman Chauncey Jackson to both tickets. If the parties do not comply, they will have to pay a Class C fine, which can range from $100 to $300, Jackson said.

Jackson said the board has not decided whether the tickets will have to remove the names of all disqualified candidates or just those who plan to begin a write-in campaign. The board will likely convene tomorrow, he said.

RSVP presidential candidate Kyle Triplett said he hopes the board does not force his ticket to stop selling shirts, which feature the names of two of the party’s three disqualified candidates.

“It would be a waste to throw the shirts away or order new ones,” he said, adding that both parties have bought hundreds of T-shirts to advertise their campaigns.“I hope the board uses discretion.”

The ruling will not affect FACE as much, presidential candidate Matthew Wallace said.

“What it means for me is taking their images off the website,” he said, adding that FACE T-shirts have no names on them.

If the former candidates are working on the campaigns as supporters but not as candidates, their names are still allowed to be included, Jackson said.Any disqualified candidates who are starting write-in campaigns are not allowed to be affiliated with either party as a supporter or candidate.