Board: Student Senate candidates won't face fines

The FACE party will not have to make major changes to its website and RSVP will not have to throw out hundreds of T-shirts after a decision by the Board of Elections to reverse an earlier ruling.

Student Senate’s Board of Elections made the decision today to allow the FACE and RSVP campaigns to keep the names of disqualified candidates on their campaign materials as long as the candidates are not planning to run a write-in campaign, according to an e-mail from chairman Chauncey Jackson.

FACE presidential candidate Matthew Wallace said the board’s decision might not have been fair to his party.

“It was interesting that the board took it upon itself, with no provocation from (RSVP presidential candidate) Kyle (Triplett), to reverse the decision,” he said.

The board informed the two parties yesterday that they would have to remove the names of disqualified candidates from all campaign materials by today, but Jackson said a decision had not yet been made about whether disqualified candidates who were not planning write-in campaigns could still be mentioned.

If the board had decided that parties had to remove names of all disqualified candidates, RSVP would have had to stop selling its T-shirts, wasting hundreds of dollars, Triplett said.

Today’s decision effectively nullifies yesterday’s for FACE, because none of its candidates are running a write-in campaign, Wallace said.

RSVP executives were not available for comment.