BPC calls for tuition, housing fee increases

Editor's Note: This story has been changed from its original version. Out-of-state tuition will increase by about $334.

Ohio University’s Budget Planning Council will recommend a 3.5 percent increase in tuition and fees and a 2.5 percent increase in housing costs for next year.

This would amount to about $334 more per student next year in tuition and General Fee expenses, said John Day, associate provost of academic budgeting. This increase would bring in-state tuition from $9,537 to $9,871, Day said.

Out-of-state tuition will also increase by about $334, bring it to $18,835.

“We’re conscious of the fact that this keeps driving up costs, but that’s the situation we’re in with declining state support,” Day said.

Day added that if tuition were to increase, OU would address affordability concerns by increasing scholarship funding.

If President Roderick McDavis decides to include the increases in his final budget recommendations to the Board of Trustees, tuition would go up 3.87 percent and the General Fee would go up 1 percent. The General Fee pool  is comprised entirely of student money.

Residential Housing also asked for a 2.5 percent increase in housing fees for next year to cover increasing maintenance and utility costs. A standard double, which costs $5,325 this year, would go up to $5,458 next year.

The money from both increases could go to scholarships, recruiting, deferred maintenance, graduate student stipends, disability services and paying employees.

McDavis will review the recommendations from BPC and release his budget June 3. OU’s Board of Trustees will vote on McDavis’ final recommendations at its June 24 meeting.

“(McDavis) welcomes the input of BPC and thanks them for the hard work they did in developing all the recommendations,” said Becky Watts, McDavis’ chief of staff.

pe219007@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus