Fests lead to more than 150 arrests

Law enforcement officials stayed busy this past weekend, as 60 Ohio University students were arrested at the two street festivals.

Officers from the University and Athens Police Departments and Liquor Control agents arrested 159 people at the two fests — 109 at Palmerfest and 50 at Palmer Place Fest.

Those totals increased by about 60 percent from last year, when 95 people were arrested between the two block parties — 31 at Palmerfest and 13 at Palmer Place Fest. Liquor Control agents made 51 additional arrests between the two days last year.

Of the 159 arrests, Athens and university police officers arrested 43 people — 35 at Palmerfest and eight at Palmer Place Fest.

University and city police officers arrested 15 OU students over the weekend, six Ohio State University students and five University of Cincinnati students.

Of the remaining 17 arrested, nine were from other universities, six were not students, one was a high school student and one refused to answer.

Liquor Control agents made the remaining arrests, with 74 at Palmer and 42 at Palmer Place Fest.

Liquor Control agents arrested 45 OU students — 24 at Palmerfest and 21 at Palmer Place Fest.

The three most common charges for the weekend were public intoxication, underage consumption and obstructing official business. Other charges included fighting, escape and public urination.

ml147009@ohiou.edu

rs181308@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity