'Imposter' Twitter account offers pearls of wisdom from a fake McDavis

A recently created faux Twitter account sporting OU President Roderick McDavis’ name posts tweets atypical of the normal presidential updates — including some talking about taking shots, being fly and doing “curls for the girls.”

The @PrezMcDavis Twitter account features McDavis’ headshot and stated, “Maybe I'm not the real McDavis, but I'm the fat-free version.”

The user recently updated the Twitter "bio" to say, "The Twitter user recently updated the description of the account to say, "McDavis Parody. [ I AM NOT THE REAL MCDAVIS.] but I'm pretty fly."

The account has amassed more than 250 followers since its creation yesterday and includes a number of irreverent comments.

“#moodkiller When all you want to do is day drink but you have budget meetings. #hardouthereforapimp #likeameetingcouldstopme,” states one tweet added earlier today.

Other tweets reference OU Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi and talk about taking vacations on students’ dime.

The creator of the account, an OU student who did not want to provide his name, said the main purpose of the account was actually to improve students' perceptions of OU administration.

"I don't think (Mcdavis is) an evil guy, I don't think he is money-hungry and I don't think he's interested in taking advantage of students," the student said in an email. "I just think a lot of students are frustrated with the tuition increases, budget cuts, and other fiscal issues. I don't, however, think it's fair to lay all of those things on McDavis.

"... If a joke twitter account about our President drinking and taking it easy can increase (OU's and Athens') sense of community even more, that would be a great end-goal for me personally," he said.

The student added he did not want to provide his identity because he feared reprisal from the administration, who he said has not contacted him yet.

"I think it's in my best interest, both professionally and personally to remain anonymous for now," he said. "I don't want pissed off administrators looking for me."

One of the Twitter user's followers is @OUVPSA, the account for Vice President for Student Affairs Kent Smith. Smith said he believes some of the tweets have racial overtones and called several of them "distasteful."

"Regardless of what you think of President McDavis, he is a man; he is a graduate of Ohio University; and he is working hard every day to do what he thinks is best for Ohio University," Smith said. "And I respect him greatly."

The account shouldn't influence students' opinions of OU administration, Smith said.

"Clearly, this is someone with not enough schooling to study," Smith said. "They clearly have a lot of time on their hands."

“(McDavis) is aware of it,” said Becky Watts, McDavis’ chief of staff. “We have contacted Twitter regarding an imposter. We have not heard back from Twitter yet.”

The account might fall under Twitter's allowances for parody accounts, since it clearly states the user is not actually McDavis, Watts said. If Twitter does not get back to the president's office, or states the account is not violating its rules, the president's office will not take further action, she added.

The president has not tried to contact the creator of the Twitter, Watts said.

rm279109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus