Incumbent Kent Butler won the Democratic nomination for the First Ward seat in last night's primary elections

Incumbent Butler takes 1st Ward Democratic nomination

Donning the “lucky” Irish sweater his parents gave him after a visit to the Emerald Isles, Kent Butler celebrated his Athens City Council primary victory last night at Casa Nueva.

Butler, Athens City Council’s 1st Ward incumbent, defeated Andrea DeMott for the ward’s Democratic nomination last night with 139 votes, or 67.8 percent.

DeMott garnered 66 votes, or 32.2 percent, according to the Athens County Board of Elections.

Because no Republicans have filed and the deadline for independents to do so passed Monday, Butler will be unopposed in the upcoming November election.

Athens’ 1st Ward includes most of the city’s western section, as well as the streets between West Union and West State streets and parts of Ohio University’s West Green and the Convocation Center.

“I’m looking to become even more involved,” Butler said. “I’ve been learning the ropes since my first term and have been developing a rapport with my colleagues … I’m excited.”

Andrea DeMott, an Ohio University professor, focused her platform on positive changes and fixing dilapidating properties in the 1st Ward.

Quality of life is a main focus for Butler, who said maintaining safety is also key.

“It’s looking collectively towards solutions to address noise and beautification of the community and … transportation solutions,” he said.

Local development and businesses are also important, Butler said. Making important changes in Athens will come from teamwork, he added, not any one council member’s level of experience.

Official election results will not be available until May 19, when provisional and absentee ballots are counted, a Board of Elections official said.

ph835608@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity