Injuries kill 4-year-old Plains girl

A 4-year-old girl from The Plains who was the victim of a reported assault has died.

Kaylen Young died at about 12:50 p.m. yesterday after a brain scan determined there was no brain activity, according to a news release from Athens County Sheriff Pat Kelly.

Her stepmother, Ashley Jane Young, 25, of The Plains, was charged with attempted murder.

Kaylen was brought to O’Bleness Memorial Hospital Monday after receiving multiple life-threatening injuries.

The child was unresponsive and had suspicious marks on her body that suggested physical abuse.

The child was transported to Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, where she was taken off life support yesterday, according to the release.

Kelly said sheriff’s investigators charged Young with attempted murder in connection to the victim’s injuries.

Young was arraigned in Athens County Municipal Court Tuesday on one count of attempted murder, and her bond was set at $1 million.

She is currently in Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail.

Because the girl died, an aggravated murder charge will be sought by the grand jury, Kelly said. The next grand jury is scheduled for June 2.

Attempted murder is a first-degree felony. Young could spend up to 10 years in prison and pay up to $20,000 if convicted of this charge at a trial, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

If Young’s charge is changed to aggravated murder, she could be sentenced to life in prison, life in prison without parole or death if convicted of the charge at a trial, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

Marika Lee contributed to this report.

kg287609@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity