Men's basketball docked one scholarship for academic performance

Ohio's men's basketball team will lose one scholarship for the 2011-12 season after failing to meet NCAA standards for academic performance.

The NCAA released its annual Academic Progress Rate report today. The report assigns a score to each athletic team of all member institutions. Those who score in the top 10 percent nationally are rewarded for their effort, while those at the other end of the spectrum may be penalized.

The APR score is based out of 1000 points. Ohio's men's basketball team scored an 878 for the 2009-10 academic year, lowering its multiyear APR average to 910. That figure puts the Bobcats between the 10th and 20th percentiles of all men's basketball teams nationally. It is also in the bottom 10 percent of teams across all sports nationally.

As a result, the team will only be able to award 12 of its original 13 scholarships. Assistant director for Media Relations Drew Wiseman said the team had not conferred the final scholarship, meaning no players will lose any previously awarded scholarship money for the 2011-12 season. In all, 14 players are on the team's roster.

"A contributing factor was the unexpected departure of several student-athletes for non-academic reasons," said Director of Athletics Jim Schaus. "The athletic department has worked with the NCAA on a detailed improvement plan. We are confident in our ability to remedy this issue in the future."

Ohio's volleyball squad was awarded the Public Recognition Award for the sixth consecutive year by posting a perfect score of 1000. The multiyear APR average is also 1000.

Read The Post online and in-print for continuing coverage of Ohio and Mid-American Conference academic performance standards.