New government relations director appointed Sunday

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis appointed a new director of government relations yesterday.

Eric R. Burchard, who previously served as interim director, was named permanent director effective May 1, according to a news release. He beat out Jane Harf, director of the University Clean Energy Alliance of Ohio, for the position and will earn $146,500.

“Eric has been doing a fantastic job as our interim,” McDavis said, adding that although Burchard is an alumnus, that did not factor into his decision.

“I looked more at his skill set and personality,” McDavis said.

Burchard has worked at OU since 2008 as director of Corporate and Foundation Relations in University Advancement. He worked for 10 years as a federal lobbyist and worked on Capitol Square for 18 years.

“I think that my predecessor, Teri Geiger, and the university leadership have done a great job building OU’s advocacy program, and I want to build on that strong foundation,” Burchard said. “The university has an abundance of talent, and I would like to try to utilize all of that talent … in its government relations activities.”

Burchard added he will encourage faculty and administrators to meet with elected officials and other policy makers, to testify before legislative committees and to sit on study commissions or panels put together by the state or federal government.

“I’d like to see more of the OU team be tapped and nominated to sit on these bodies, share their expertise and help shape public policy,” he said.

The director of government relations works with state and national governments to advocate for OU and secure funding for the university, according to a news release.

“We are excited about Eric taking this ... we think he will do a fantastic job,” McDavis said.

Teri Geiger, OU’s former director of government relations, left OU in December to work for U.S. Sen. Rob Portman. She made $146,560.

cb119506@ohiou.edu

pe219007@ohio.edu

@ThePostCampus