Katharine Egli | FOR THE POST From left, Tim Vickers, Betsy Haehl, Shoko Igarahi and Sean Haehl, all of whom had friends or family members in Japan at the time of the earthquake and tsunami, attend a candlelight vigil put on by the university in honor of the victims yesterday.

Ohio Sen. Stewart denies SB5 backlash caused resignation

Just a day after Ohio Sen. Jimmy Stewart, R-20th, announced his resignation, state and local Democrats said they were not surprised by the announcements given his controversial Senate Bill 5 vote.

Stewart announced Tuesday his plan to resign from his seat on the Ohio Senate effective in July to pursue a private sector opportunity.

“I have been offered an incredible opportunity in the private sector. After 13 and a half years of public service in Athens and Ohio ... I want to pursue (this opportunity),” Stewart said.

Stewart came under fire earlier this year after voting in favor of Senate Bill 5, which opponents argue severely limits collective bargaining rights for public workers.

Stewart cast one of the deciding votes when the bill went through the Ohio Senate.

Ohio House Rep. Debbie Phillips, D-92nd, said she was not surprised by Stewart’s resignation.

“I don’t think (his vote in favor of the bill) was an accurate representation of people in his district. It was a politically smart thing for him to find something else to do,” Phillips said.

In an email sent this morning, Ohio Democratic Party spokesman Seth Bringman said he was also not surprised Stewart decided to resign.

“Sen. Stewart must have seen the writing on the wall and decided he would rather leave the Senate than face the wrath of the voters next year,” Bringman said. “His district’s widespread, bipartisan opposition to Senate Bill 5 was a clear indication that he would not be re-elected.”

Bringman noted it was a disappointment Stewart wouldn’t have to answer to the constituents for his vote on the bill.

“It’s unfortunate (he) won’t have to answer to the voters for his attacks on worker rights and worker safety, but many others will,” Bringman said.

Athens County Democratic Party Chairman Bill Bias agreed Stewart’s resignation was most likely related to his vote on the bill.

“(The writing was on) the wall, and the wall was a billboard. I think somebody that was used to being so (supported) and was then reviled found the pressure difficult to deal with,” Bias said.

Although many believe Stewart’s resignation was related to his vote on the bill, Athens County Republican Party Chairman Pete Couladis said it has nothing to do with that.

“It’s typical that people are attempting to bully and mislead people with the bill. They are trying to say their bully tactics forced him out of office,” Couladis said.

Couladis added he hated to see Stewart leave because of his hard work in the senate.

“He’s done a great job as a representative of Southeast Ohio,” Couladis said.

Stewart reaffirmed Couladis’ statement, adding that he had decided long before the bill was created he was going to get out of politics.

“I can tell you unequivocally that SB5 had nothing to do with it,” Stewart said, adding that he turned down an opportunity to run for the 18th Congressional District in 2009 because he didn’t want to be in politics for the rest of his life.

Stewart has served as a state senator since 2009 and could have run for re-election in 2012. He also served as a state representative from 2003 to 2008, Athens City auditor from 1998 to 2002 and an Athens City councilman in 1998, according to his website.

He said he would be announcing his private sector opportunity in the next few days.

Some rumored replacements are Ohio House Rep. Troy Balderson, R-94th, and Ohio House Rep. Andy Thompson, R-93rd, Phillips said. 

as218907@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity