OU announces Sustainability finalists

Editor's Note: This story has been changed from its original version. Nicholas' last name is spelled Hennessy.

Ohio University has announced three finalists in the search for a new director of sustainability.

Finalists include Erin Sykes, the current interim director of sustainability, Nicholas Hennessy, the sustainability coordinator at Bowling Green State University and Annie Laurie Cadmus, sustainability specialist at Waubonsee Community College in Aurora, Ill. The three will have open forums in the coming weeks for students and faculty to attend, according to a university news release.

A search committee of about 10 students, faculty and staff, chaired by Associate Vice President for Facilities Harry Wyatt, narrowed the three down from a larger group of applicants. The committee has been searching for a replacement for Sonia Marcus, who stepped down from the position in January.

“We’re very excited about bringing them to campus, and the public forum is another opportunity.” Wyatt said, adding that about 40 people originally applied to the position.

Watts said applicants came from a variety of sustainability-related backgrounds and conducted online interviews and several rounds of selection.

“All three are very different, but each has a vision and a passion for sustainability work,” said Becky Watts, chief of staff to OU President Roderick McDavis, who is on the committee. “I feel really good about the folks we’re going to bring to campus. They bring a real robust energy with them.”

Wyatt said the committee was looking for applicants with a balance of experience with sustainability issues, a university environment and student outreach.

Sykes’ forum will be Friday at 10:30 a.m. at the Human Resource Training Center room 141/145. Hennessy will come to campus May 20 at 10:30 a.m. in Baker University Center room 239 and Cadmus will appear May 27 at 10:30 a.m. in Baker Center room 231.

“There is diversity in the group, and it’s a strength.” Watts said.

The Office of Sustainability is dedicated to increasing the efficiency of and promoting environmentally friendly programs at OU, according to its website.