Softball: Bobcats shuffle defensive roster, shoot to end season strong

As the Bobcats go into their final four games of the season, they have made some defensive changes in hopes of a strong finish.

It starts with a new catcher. Alex Basquez, normally a third baseman, took the position after Jordan Paden broke her finger in the game against Central Michigan April 22.

“She only came in as a kid that was recruited as a third baseman,” coach Jodi Hermanek said. “As the last end of our season, being brought into one of our captain spots on our field, she has taken it as a champ and done a great job for us.”

In addition to Basquez, Melissa Bonner has been added back to the roster after a monthlong absence due to a concussion.

Bonner pitched seven innings this past weekend in the Bobcats’ doubleheader against Buffalo, striking out five.

“She is finally in a good spot where we expected to see her,” Hermanek said. “I feel like she is finally getting the consistency of games and reps, and so she threw great last weekend.”

Bonner said she is ready for this weekend and is focusing on remaining calm because that is when she is in the most control of her game.

“I am working on just staying positive and just staying with the goals that I have been working on this week with just attacking my zone … confident in the box, on the mound because that is what I am most successful,” Bonner said.

Hermanek said the team will need to come together, changes and all, to beat Bowling Green (3-14, 9-31 Mid-American Conference), which sits at the bottom of the MAC East standings.

“Bowling Green is a hitting team — I mean they are going to take their hacks,” Hermanek said. “They have come off of two good wins against Ball State, who is top in their division, so we need to earn the wins this weekend.”

After facing Bowling Green, Ohio will travel to Toledo (3-13, 8-35 MAC), which sits at the bottom of the MAC West and most recently lost to Miami last weekend.

“These last four games that we have, we have to come out and earn the win, just like we have been working on all season,” Hermanek said. “We played some really tough softball last weekend, and now it is all about consistency and coming out this weekend and playing good softball as well.”

oa191109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports