Student Senate Elections: Large number of voters turns out during 1st day

More than 3,000 students turned out yesterday during the first day of voting in this year’s Student Senate election, eclipsing the total number of votes in the 2009 and 2008 elections.

Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi said 3,117 students voted yesterday before the polling website closed at 7 p.m. A total of 2,104 students voted in 2009, and 2,765 voted in 2008, he said.

“I’m very pleased with voter turnout so far,” Lombardi said.

Last year, 3,911 students voted during the one-day election. The voting period was extended to two days this year.

OU sent out an email yesterday morning to all students reminding them to vote, Lombardi said. Several Twitter accounts affiliated with OU were also used to advertise the election.

Board of Elections Chairman Chauncey Jackson said the high turnout so far was encouraging.

“The parties have done a good job of getting their message out,” he said. “The parties and our write-in candidate have done most of the outreach.”

The online polling website will be available from 8 a.m. to 7 p.m. today. The Board of Elections also plans to set up a polling station on the fourth floor of Baker University Center, Lombardi said.

This year’s three presidential candidates also were impressed by the turnout.

“That’s exceptional,” said write-in candidate Chris Wagner. “The more people that vote the better.”

Wagner launched his last-minute campaign Monday, and said he was surprised by how quickly it took off, gaining more exposure than he thought it would with his $0 budget.

“It’s a good thing that there’s at least enough exposure to get people to the polls,” he said.

RSVP presidential candidate Kyle Triplett said he was interested to see whether the high turnout carries over to the second day of voting.

“We’re going to have to reach out a little bit harder tomorrow,” he said.

FACE presidential candidate Matthew Wallace said he was surprised the one-day total did not surpass last year’s votes and does not expect the second day to have as great a turnout.

“We’re going to give it 110 percent,” he said, adding that the “FACE-mobile,” a pickup truck decorated with FACE banners, will be on the streets again today.

“I really don’t think it’s going to be anywhere close to today.”

jf250409@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus