Student Senate Elections: Senate execs deny bias

Three members of the Student Senate Elections Special Appeals Committee will not resign despite concerns regarding their impartiality.

“Right now, my status is staying on the (appeals) committee,” Student Senate Vice President Matthew Beddingfield said. “I don’t think there is room for bias on the committee.”

Student Senate President Jesse Neader and Treasurer Patty Roberts also said they do not plan to resign from the committee.

Beddingfield, Neader and Roberts have all publicly endorsed the RSVP ticket headed by Student Trustee Kyle Triplett.

FACE presidential candidate Matthew Wallace said in a Post article Tuesday that he felt the election process was biased toward RSVP. In the same article, Triplett denied the allegations, saying the Board of Elections applied the rules fairly.

The appeals committee ensures the Board of Elections is adhering to the rules, Roberts said.

“We don’t see the nitty-gritty details (of the decision),” she said.

The five-person appeals committee makes its decisions based on a three-question rubric.

The committee asks whether a written rule was violated, whether the rules were interpreted correctly and whether the rules were applied evenly, Neader said.

“Those are the only three questions we ask,” he said. “It is hard to say (our endorsements) are going to sway the committee.”  

cb119506@ohiou.edu

@Thepostcampus