Student Senate Selections: PROUD, Kelly would keep filling grad student needs

Graduate Student Senate President Tracy Kelly has never run opposed until this year.

Kelly’s PROUD party received competition from Student Senate University Life Commissioner John Calhoun’s hOUr party.  After a relatively short campaign season, we endorse the PROUD party as the proper choice for Graduate Student Senate.

Two years as an Ohio University student trustee and two years as Graduate Student Senate president have made Kelly a formidable candidate. Though John Calhoun has good experience, he wanted to further the goals Kelly has achieved.

It was good that Calhoun created competition to give graduate students more of a choice, but Kelly still came out on top. We do hope there is a place for Calhoun, should PROUD win, because he can definitely bring something to the table.

Kelly has already had two strong years effecting changes important to graduate students. Turning power over to someone new would not be as effective as allowing Kelly to continue.

With Kelly as president, the PROUD party will persist with its push for graduate student needs such as stipends, health care and safety. During her first term, Kelly was able to increase graduate funding by $236,000. This year, she is pushing for another increase.

In the matter of health care, Hudson Health Center began offering free, confidential HIV testing to students this month because of PROUD’s efforts. Graduate Student Senate is also working on an affordable dental care plan for its constituency.

Safety improvements have also been an important achievement of Kelly’s. After Jeff Hill was paved, graduate students complained about the dangers the dark street posed for drivers and pedestrians. Senate passed a resolution, and the lighting was improved.

Kelly has also brought administrators’ attention to mold in the practice spaces of Glidden Hall. Graduate students have received a commitment from Vice President for Finance and Administration Stephen Golding that the problem will be addressed this summer.

With years of experience, important accomplishments and a continuing campaign to meet graduate students’ needs, Kelly has shown she is a great candidate. That is why we endorse PROUD.

Endorsements represent the majority opinion of

The Post’s executive editors.