Ohio's Emily Pifer, Juli Accurso and Annie Beecham compete in the 1500 meter run during the Ohio Open on Saturday at Pruitt Field. The Bobcats swept the event with Accurso winning the event and Beecham placing second. Their next event is the MAC Championships Thursday through Saturday.

Track & Field: Beecham earns All-MAC honors

Annie Beecham’s individual performances were not enough to elevate the Bobcats in the standings.

Beecham won the 5,000-meter run and scored 18 total points for the Bobcats, but the team finished ninth at the Mid-American Conference Championships this past weekend in DeKalb, Ill.

The Bobcats finished with 46 points — almost half of them coming from Beecham, who crossed the line in 16 minutes, 50 seconds to win the 5k.

Beecham earned first team All-MAC for her efforts and also finished second in the 10,000-meter run Thursday.

“Eighteen points is a solid meet for her,” coach Clay Calkins said.

After the first day of competition, Calkins said that there were opportunities to put points on the board and in the days of competition that followed.

But the Bobcats had to wait for those chances as severe weather delayed the day’s events for several hours and pushed some events to Sunday.

Brittany Tyree sat in fourth place in the heptathlon after the first day and, after the long delay, finished in third place.

Kari Summers placed fifth in 5,000-meter run and third in the 3,000-meter steeplechase. Calkins said that these were solid finishes considering the change in schedule from the previous day’s inclement weather.

“She ran these events all in one day, when normally there are runs on separate days,” Calkins said. “She ran the steeple at 8:50 (in the morning) and the 5k at 4:00 (in the afternoon).”

The 4-by-400 meter relay came in seventh with a time 3:51.

nr225008@ohiou.edu

@ThePostSports