Tranquility surrounds 'best fest'

About 13,000 people descended upon an expanse of mud at the intersection of West Union Street and State Highway 557 Saturday for 8Fest, the eighth installment of the number-fests.

Partygoers, law enforcement officials and fest organizers all said the music fest — which took place at its third location since its creation in 2004 — was a success without any major problems.

“It was epic,” said Dominic Petrozzi, 8Fest’s organizer. “Hands down the best fest since 1Fest.”

The event remained calm without any fights or serious problems, Athens County Sheriff Pat Kelly said.

Although Capt. Bryan Cooper of the Athens County Sheriff’s Office said the 35 Sheriff deputies patrolling the event did not arrest very many people at the fest, the actual numbers were not yet available.  

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office received about $15,000 to police the event, Petrozzi said.

Throughout the day, Liquor Control agents made 58 arrests, according to a news release from the Ohio Investigative Unit.

Athens County Emergency Medical Service transported seven people to the hospital, said Corey Lenigar, director of ACEMS. One person was transported because of a broken leg, and the rest were for alcohol-related problems, he added.  

Transportation to and from the event went smoothly, and everyone left the fest’s location by about 10 p.m., Petrozzi said.

“Drunk driving is always a concern, but we hope most students with a career in front of them have a head on their shoulders,” Cooper said.

To ensure people were not driving home drunk, event-sponsored buses and individual drivers shuttled partygoers to and from Ohio University’s campus throughout the day.

Drew Wenmoth, a senior at Hocking College, said he transported about 70 people in his flatbed truck during the course of the day and made “a couple hundred bucks.”

Despite the distance from campus, partiers commented on how much better this year’s venue was in comparison to past years’.  

“Last year sucked,” said Mary Panaggio, a senior studying sociology and criminology. “It’s still muddy this year, but you can stay out of it if you want.”

Panaggio said she has attended the number-fests since 5Fest her freshman year and that she will definitely be returning next year.

“I will always come back,” she said. “Even if I have to take work off, I’ll be here.”

With the configuration of the new location, Kelly said law enforcement was able to better control the party.

“This is a 100 percent better location,” Kelly said.     

Now that 8Fest is over, Petrozzi is looking forward to next year’s 9Fest.

“Same time, same place — it’s gonna be a rager,” Petrozzi said.

rc348710@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity