Twitter becomes an academic tool

Students on Twitter are paying more attention in class even as their peers with laptops lag behind, recent studies have found.

A study conducted last fall by associate professor Reynol Junco at Lock Haven University in Lock Haven, Penn., revealed that students using Twitter score higher grades and are more likely to be involved in class than their non-tweeting counterparts.

To professors at Ohio University, the trend isn’t unusual. A number of OU professors have integrated Twitter as a part of their classes.

“I do have a Twitter feed up during class,” said Mary Rogus, associate professor of journalism, of her journalism ethics class. “Ethics is a large class, but it’s not the kind of class you can lecture — it has to be a discussion class.”

Rogus said the type of discussion Twitter promotes is “innate” to subjects like ethics.

“It’s interesting when we have people who aren’t in the class join in the discussion,” Rogus said. “We’ve had alums join the discussion. It’s an effective tool, and it engages more.”

For Lexi Sweet, a senior studying journalism and Spanish and a member of Rogus’ class, Twitter is the best way to get a word in.

“The chances of me raising my hand and getting to say something in a class of that size are really unlikely,” Sweet said.

Last month, though, a study conducted by professors at St. John’s University in New York found that students with laptops are more likely to use laptops in class for non-academic purposes. It found more than half of second- and third-year law students use their computers for purposes unrelated to class more than half of the time.

Dean of Students Ryan Lombardi, who maintains a Twitter account, said higher education should embrace Twitter. He said he has seen the technology integrated into more classes and conferences recently.

“I have 1,700 followers on Twitter, and that’s 1,700 students I might not otherwise reach,” Lombardi said. “… The more we can meet students where they are, that’s a good thing.”

Rogus said using Twitter was a way to keep students on task.

“I sort of feel like students will be doing it anyway,” Rogus said. “If I can keep them tweeting and communicating it does keep them engaged. ... (Computer use) is not something you’re going to stop in today’s multitasking environment.”

In the meantime, other professors have adopted Twitter for their classes, Rogus said. Broadcast and online journalism classes are now integrating Twitter into their curricula, and more professors use the service to talk with students.

Sweet said she likes it that way.

“I really wish more classes would (use Twitter), especially my journalism classes,” Sweet said.

tn336706@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus