Skip to Content, Navigation, or Footer.
The Post

Undetected fire causes $200K of damage in Clippinger Hall

Fire alarms failed to go off in Clippinger Hall early Saturday morning — allowing a fire to burn, which caused $200,000 worth of damage.

At about 4:15 a.m. Saturday morning, a dehumidifer in Clippinger Hall room 206 caught fire, but because there was not a fire detector in the room, the Athens Fire Department was not immediately alerted to the flames, said Athens Fire Capt. Ken Gilbraith.

"It's an older building and the alarm system is older," Gilbraith said.

It wasn't until passers-by smelled an odor of something burning that a call was put into the department, Gilbraith said.

Ohio University officials are estimating the damage to the room and its lab contents at $200,000, he added.


Powered by SNworks Solutions by The State News
All Content © 2016-2023 The Post, Athens OH