Arson caused early-morning Brough House fire

Officials have determined that arson was the cause of the fire that cleared out Brough House early this morning and caused about $50,000 worth of damage.

The Ohio Division of State Fire Marshal and the Ohio University Police Department are conducting an investigation with the assistance of the Athens Fire Department.

“I can confirm that state fire marshal investigators and the OU police have determined the fire is arson,” said Shane Cartmill, public information officer for the Division of State Fire Marshal. “We cannot comment on the specifics because it is an ongoing criminal investigation, but there was specific information that did indicate the fire was not accidental, and we were able to lead to criminal causes.”

A poster with contact information for OUPD and the fire marshal’s office was posted in Brough House, a South Green residence hall, today.

“Fire officials suspect this fire was a result of arson,” the poster states. “A reward up to $5,000 may be granted at the discretion of the Ohio Blue Ribbon Arson Committee, payable from its reward fund, to person(s) furnishing information leading to the identification of person(s) responsible for this fire.”

OUPD and the fire marshal’s office will work together on the investigation, Cartmill said.

The Athens Fire Department, OUPD and the Athens County Emergency Medical Service responded to a call reporting smoke on Brough House’s first floor at about 2 a.m. today, according to a previous Post article.

There were no injuries reported as a result from the fire, which began in Room 006, a common room in Brough House. Smoke was contained to the first floor, and the fire was contained to that room, according to a news release from the fire marshal's department.

“There was quite a bit of fire damage to that one room,” said Athens Fire Captain Bruce Smith.

The damage to the room is estimated at $50,000, according to the news release.

Officials released the common room several hours ago, said OUPD Police Chief Andrew Powers.

Anyone with information can call OUPD at 740.593.1911 or the fire marshal’s office at 1.800.589.2728.

rm279109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus

—Michael Stainbrook contributed to this ariticle