Athens man sues Casa Lopez over wife's death

An Athens man is suing a local Mexican restaurant after his wife died allegedly from contracting a Salmonella infection from the restaurant.

Milton Ploghurt filed the lawsuit against Casa Lopez, 1017 E. State St., after his wife Zella Ploghurt, 82, ate there during Ohio University Mom’s Weekend 2010 and contracted a Salmonella infection, according to the complaint.

Zella Ploghurt ate at the restaurant April 30, 2010, with her son. The next day, both experienced severe gastrointestinal symptoms. Zella Ploghurt spent the next seven weeks in and out of hospitals with symptoms. She died June 22, 2010, according to the complaint.

Milton Ploghurt is the third person to have filed a Salmonella lawsuit against Casa Lopez. During Mom’s Weekend 2010, the Athens City-County Health Department reported 45 people who had Salmonella symptoms after eating at the restaurant.

One lawsuit was dismissed May 20 bec an agreement between both parties. Tyler Nay, an OU student, is also suing Casa Lopez. The case is pending and set to go on trial Feb. 2, 2012.

Milton Ploghurt filed the lawsuit through Marler Clark, a Seattle-based law firm specializing if food poisoning. Marler Clark issued a news release about the lawsuit yesterday, but the court has not received a copy of the complaint.

The health department investigated Casa Lopez again Jan. 20 after deer meat was found in its freezer. The meat belonged to an employee, who kept it in the freezer without permission. The restaurant was cited for violations of health and restaurant regulations.

ml147009@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity