Board of Trustees: Audit Committee discusses high-risk areas

Ohio University's Internal Audit Office presented a risk assessment at The Board of Trustees Audit Committee meeting today that assigned the highest risk rankings to OU's airport and Budget Planning & Analysis unit.

On a 1-5 scale, with 5 being the highest risk, the office assigned a 4.25 rating to the airport and a 4.40 rating to Budget Planning & Analysis. The lowest rank of 2.70 went to OU's Chillicothe campus.

The committee also complied with a mandatory internal audit to assess if the department conformed to the Institute of Internal Auditors' standards. The process began April 4, and the external auditors expressed the highest opinions in OU's compliance with the standards.

The auditors offered suggestions for the university that included offering additional international technology auditing services and providing training for internal controls.

The committee audited four additional information technology areas, said chief audit executive Kathryn Gilmore. The committee audited 52 units in all.

"Right now, with limited resources and a lot of initiatives, we're finding that it's taking some areas longer to handle the bigger items, so there'll be more follow-up audits," Gilmore said.

The committee intends to train more employees as well, Audit Manager Jeff Davis said.

The external auditors addressed OU President Roderick McDavis' understanding of the challenges that face Ohio University, saying McDavis sent prior notice to all of the offices on campus that were audited this year in an effort to help the process run more efficiently.

"What happened when we started sending reports to everyone was that if you were next on the list for next year, you were forewarned, so it really helps," McDavis said.

km312708@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus