City Council: Members discuss noise-ordinance amendment, waste-water-plant renovation

While last night's Athens City Council meeting resulted in zero adopted ordinances, members read and discussed amendments to the noise ordinance as well as using grant money to fund an energy-efficiency project.

The noise-ordinance amendment would change the first-offense ramifications for ordinance violators, altering unnecessary noise offenses against public peace.

The first offense would no longer be a criminal offense but rather an administrative offense with a fine of $100. If the offender does not pay within 30 days, they would receive a minor misdemeanor citation.

In addition, members read an ordinance authorizing the service-safety director to advertise and accept bids to enter into a construction and engineering contract for the Athens Waste Water Treatment Plant.

The project is a part of an upgrade to the plant that would improve water quality and meet Environmental Protection Agency guidelines regarding energy efficiency.

While the ordinance calls to borrow $550,000, the city would get $362,000 back upon completing the work, said Councilwoman Nancy Bain, D-3rd Ward, adding that the city will save on electricity costs in the long run.

“These are a part of the upgrade, things that we would’ve done,” Bain said. “… It won’t be an inconvenience situation; it will be a cash-flow situation.”

— Pat Holmes

@ThePostCity