McDavis to forward BPC's tuition, housing increases to Board of Trustees

Ohio University President Roderick McDavis has expressed his support for Budget Planning Council’s tuition and housing increase recommendations.

McDavis sent a message to BPC today saying he would pass on the council’s recommendations at the June 24 Board of Trustees meeting.

“I think BPC is grateful that (McDavis is) seriously considering what we recommended and is going to support those recommendations," said John Day, associate provost for academic budgeting.

BPC recommended a 1.5 percent tuition increase for OU’s regional campuses at its May 6 meeting. This increase, which would cost students from $65.93 to $75.51 more per year, would bring an additional $700,000 to OU’s five branch campuses, according to a previous Post article.

The council also recommended a 3.5 tuition and fee increase and a 2.5 housing increase for OU’s main campus at its May 20 meeting. This increase, which would bring yearly tuition to $9,871, would cost each student about $334 more each year.

A $334 increase would also be applied to out-of-state tuition, bringing it to $18,835.

The proposed 2.5 increase in housing fees would help cover maintenance and utility costs. The yearly price of a standard double would increase from $5,325 to $5,458 with this change.

McDavis postponed the release of his budget recommendations until Monday because of the continued discussions about the state budget in Columbus, said Becky Watts, McDavis’ chief of staff.

“The president has to be as prepared as possible with the most current information possible,” Watts said.

rm279109@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCampus

—Pamela Engel contributed to this article.