Pillow Talk: Writer contemplates new relationship amid distance concerns

Dear Pillow Talk,

My boyfriend and I have been dating since Fall Quarter, but this quarter he was studying abroad. He’s coming home in about two weeks and I’m having a problem: I met someone else. It happened a few weeks ago, so it isn’t anything serious, but I definitely see potential in this guy. Nothing has really “happened” between us yet because of my relationship, but I know the interest is mutual and I’d like something to happen before we both leave Athens for the summer. What should I do? Is it OK to end my relationship while my boyfriend is abroad or should I just go for it with my new guy and deal with my boyfriend when he gets home?

Thanks,

Moving On

Moving On,

If you’re interested in not creating drama for yourself, I don’t recommend cheating on your boyfriend or ending your relationship while he’s abroad. Neither of those options are very fair, considering an international phone call probably won’t allow you the opportunity to talk about your decision at length (or really at all), and starting a new relationship while you already have one is rather immature.

Hold off on making anything “happen” between you and this new guy until you can give your current boyfriend the respect he deserves with an appropriate break up. Face to face would probably be best but, if you’re going to break up with him via telephone, at least have a decency to do so when he’s in the country.

If there is as much potential in this new guy as you think there is, putting things on hold until you’re in a better situation shouldn’t be a problem for him. You can continue talking over the summer after you’ve ended your relationship – he’ll still be here when classes resume in the fall.

P.S. As you may or may not know, this is my last column with The Post, however, Pillow Talk is being placed in the trustworthy hands of Alex Bill and Steph Doan, so keep writing in. Thank you to everyone who submitted questions, wrote me letters and made the last two years so very memorable.

- Mallory Long is a senior studying journalism and women's studies. Ask her your questions about sex and love in the culture section of thepost.ohiou.edu, at postpillowtalk@gmail.com or followPillow Talk on Twitter at @post_pillowtalk.