Plains woman indicted in murder of stepdaughter

A woman from The Plains was indicted yesterday for aggravated murder and endangering children stemming from a reported incident that led to the death of her 4-year-old stepdaughter.

Ashley J. Young, 25, of The Plains, was indicted by the Athens County Grand Jury yesterday.

Young allegedly purposely caused the death of her stepdaughter, Kaylen Young, by physical assault May 23, according to a release from Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn.

She was not subject to a drug or sobriety test at the time of the incident, he said.

The child died May 25 at Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus of multiple life-threatening injuries suggesting physical abuse.

“Young is believed to be the primary offender in the case,” Blackburn said.

Aggravated murder is a special felony, and, if convicted at trial, she could be sentenced to life in prison, life in prison without parole or the death penalty, according to the Ohio Revised Code.

Although Young could receive the death penalty, Blackburn said they are not seeking that punishment at this time.

“If new evidence emerges, we could ask for it later,” he said. “If (evidence emerges that) the child had been abused for years, the case could turn (to) capital (punishment).”

Endangering children is a second-degree felony, and, if convicted at trial, she could spend up to eight years in prison and pay up to $15,000, according to the code.

Young is being held at Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, and her bond is set at $1 million, Blackburn said. The case is being investigated by the Athens County Sheriff’s Office.

Young’s arraignment will be held June 7 at 2 p.m. in the Athens County Court of Common Pleas.

The state believes it has sufficient evidence to convict, Blackburn said. 

as218907@ohiou.edu

@ThePostCity